Discussions

With all the hullabaloo about Covid-19, it was nice to return to the familiarity of a rifle match.  Fortunately ten Osage Orange members saw things my way, and we had a fun morning with a variety of .22 rifles on the line.  There was a Mossberg 44 and a Remington 541 from the CMP, an AR-15  A2 as well as an AR-15 with a scope, some Ruger 10-22's wearing all manner of modifications and scopes as well as a newer turnbolt (Marlin?  Savage?) used by Steve Hoy to win the match.  Shooting a top score largely required getting all 5 shots off in each rapid fire string, as saved rounds were the common item of the day.  It reminds me that when the AR-15 started to become common on the highpower line, it was said that the 'AR' stood fore 'Alibi Rifle.'  And there are no alibis in our matches.

The weather was outstanding, and our "new" digs at SBRC worked out well.   The only sour note was the match director  bringing the wrong target for Rimfire Sporter, but that worked out as well, since none of the shooters really cared about whether the scores were submitted to CMP or not.  And we're not sure if the CMP is currently accepting scores, since May 14th is their published date of "re-opening," and, of course, CMP has shut down all shooting events they directly supervise or run until September.

Since we were winging it from the get-go, we decided to tack on a 100 yard prone string of fire at the end of the match, just for bragging rights.  That's always a challenge with a .22.  And that's something we can do at SBRC that we couldn't do at our old match location.

Even better, I stayed at the range, enjoyed the weather and a light lunch, and then practiced a bit with my .22 upper.

All in all it was a good day. 

Comments
  1. No comments yet. Be the first to post a comment.

This website is powered by Spruz